The book selection for our April Book Coven was Apocalytpic Witchcraft by Peter Grey. Below are the journal prompts for diving deeper:
In the second chapter, Grey presents a Manifesto of Apocalyptic Witchcraft. (pg. 14)
- Which points do you agree with?
- Which would you redact?
- What would you add to your own manifesto?
“The work of witchcraft is intimately connected with dreaming; some say it is simply that.” (pg. 25) “…we could go so far as to define witchcraft as the art of navigating dream.” (pg. 35)
- What is the quality of your dreams?
- Have you had any significant dreams recently, or repeating themes in your dreams?
- How can you connect more deeply with your dreaming? Some ideas are keeping a dream journal, disconnecting from the digital, fasting and/or bathing before sleep, evening meditation, and using herbal aids such as lavender, mugwort, and poppy.
“Hughes relates that: ‘The inner world separated from the outer world is a place of demons, the outer world separated from the inner world is a place of meaningless objects and machines.'” (pg. 57)
- How do you balance the inner and outer world? Some ideas are through myth, poetry, art, dream work, active imagination, magick, and ritual.
“We do not need to begin with an exterior cult if we can diligently apply the basic exercises, and in doing so nurture the flowering of our own gifts.” (pg. 152)
- Grey goes on to describe these basic exercises as orientation, presence, and imperative. What do you consider to be the foundational exercises of your Craft? For example meditation, ritual, offerings, etc.
“Orientation demands a mythic topography of witchcraft to replace the lost dream of a unified cult.” (pg. 156)
- What does the landscape of your witchcraft look like?
“The witch must be present and this presence means the body.” (pg. 158)
- How do you practice presence and embodiment?
“The third principle is: imperative…Witchcraft is defined in that it acts. This is not a path of contemplation, but of engagement.” (pg. 162)
- Grey presents the imperative of apocalyptic witchcraft as animism. What is your imperative as a witch?